The Chicken or the Egg? 5. To Market, To Market

Farm life chickens
Chickens on the Family Farm (Bertelsen Family Photograph)

Cooks cook eggs in a plethora of ways. And vendors sell eggs in a myriad of ways.

The following photo essay celebrates the ingenuity of egg vendors across the globe. Egg storage and preservation methods vary.

Eggs Jerusalem scooter
Jerusalem
Eggs Morocco
Morocco (Photo credit: Colin Nederkoorn)

Marrakech, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Managua, Nicaragua
Managua, Nicaragua
Xizhou, China
Xizhou, China (Photo credit: Astrid Berglund)
Hong Kong, "1000-Year-Old" Eggs
Hong Kong, "1000-Year-Old" Eggs
Salted Eggs, Manila, Philippines
Salted Eggs, Manila, Philippines
Cambodia
Cambodia (Photo credit: McKay Savage)
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam (Photo credit: Michael Foley)

Bundi, India
Bundi, India
Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone (Photo credit: Adam Cohn)
Haut-de-Seine, France
Haut-de-Seine, France
USA, Farmers Market
USA, Farmers Market (Photo credit: La Grande Farmers' Market)
New York City (Photo credit: Adam Kuban)
New York City (Photo credit: Adam Kuban)

22 Comments Add yours

1. Very creative, isn’t it? Very sustainable, too. We can learn a lot from other cultures, no matter what our original culture might be.

2. Quito says:

Western ways of egg merchandising seems a lot less creative than the rest of the world.

The Nicaraguan picture is my favorite.

3. mordzook says:

I object to eating eggs, not for a moral or political reason, but because they make me vom a bit. Probably has something to do with the fact that, under different circumstance, the eggy could have been a little birdy, with a beak and everything. Also, seems like eating eggs would dent your reproductive karma.

4. This is great! I love when people take pictures and show me a new way to look at objects or places that I see every day. I don’t care much for eggs but this made me appreciate them as beautiful and an interesting way to look at cultural variations. Thanks for the fresh perspective.

5. I would say the egg

6. Hi Carola,

That’s an interesting one — I’ll have to ask my brother about this one, as he lives in Japan. Thanks, and good to hear from you.

7. livvyjane says:

That’s a lot of eggs. =D

8. Carola says:

I saw your photo sketch on eggs and thought I need to find and send you my photo of an egg-vending machine from when I lived in Japan. I was quite surprised to see you could walk down the street and buy eggs from an outside vending machine. But probably if you did a google image search you could find one online!

9. 25BAR says:

I like my poultry.

10. Thank you to all the people who’ve posted such positive comments on the “Chicken or the Egg” posts. And a huge thank you to WordPress.com for making the Bertelsen family chickens one of the posts of the day on October 16, 2009!

11. A sensitive and very interesting approaching of the universality behind cultural differences.

12. jamil says:

Very nice photos and different types of eggs

13. AmyH says:

Very cool. It’s amazing how the whole world depends on basically the exact same things for survival. I guess I knew how important eggs are, but never really thought about it before today. Thanks! :)

14. ostrix says:

The first thought that stroke me was “what a nice way to demonstrate the versatility of our world through… eggs!” )))) Different colors, sizes and styles of eggs made reminded me how big and diverse this world is ))) And made me crave not exactly for an omelet, but to learn more about the countries )))

15. Terry says:

Does anyone know how to keep chickens from plucking each others feathers off? My chickens are half necked.

16. Blogger HanZ says:

So, the chicken comes before the eggs … according to the picture arrangement, I mean. Really nice pictures – like Harris said “Egg-sellent” – I like them!

17. sunny says:

what exotic.

18. Pretty Project says:

I suddenly have a craving for an omelet…or fried chicken…whichever I can get to first. :)

19. Steven Harris says:

Egg-sellent. We just have a hand-painted sign at the end of the front path.

20. danakennedy says:

Glad I found your blog! I think your Recipe Index and your links on Food History are great reference tools for the rest of us!

21. The chickens, I assume you mean? Yes, it’s an old picture from the 50s, the color’s all faded like pics from that time tend to do. Glad you liked it!

22. I like the 1st pic the best, but all of them are great.

Raven