Some cool facts about recent cookbooks according to Gourmand World Cookbook Awards, taking place this weekend at the Frankfurt Book Fair, a truly international event:
1. In the last twelve years, over 5,000 publishers produced 200,000 cookbooks.
2. Self-published food writers and cookbook authors publish more and more new books, challenging the traditional publishers.
3. Large food and wine companies commission cookbooks at a greater rate than ever before.
4. Many countries around the world publish three to four times the cookbooks now than they did fifteen years ago.
5. On October 14, 2008, the “100 Best Books of the Past 12 Years” were announced.
© 2008 C. Bertelsen